Re: [WriteLog] Rig interface advice

To: "Writelog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Rig interface advice
From: "Gary Senesac AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 15:51:06 -0900
Wow!  Thanks to all who responded so quickly with so much info and great
ideas.  I think I've sorted out my intended changeover plan for the moment -
of course subject to change at the drop of a hat!  I'll summarize some of
the points received and how/why I hope to get from here to there.

Computer -  a Dell Insprion 1750 with a large screen - you can never have
too much desktop space!

Operating System - Vista (reluctantly).  Several replies suggested sticking
with XP, including Joe W4TV.  I finally decided on Vista because several
others indicated their stuff runs ok on it and XP is already several years
old.  It won't be that much longer before Microsoft announces it is dropping
support for XP and more and more software will be Vista oriented.

Docking station - Since it's a laptop I want the ability to quickly pull it
off the desk and go portable with it whenever I want without having to
disconnect all the cabling and then reconnect upon return.  I have a docking
station for my ancient Compaq and it is very convenient.  Dell only has a
cheesy looking Kensington product among their accessories for the Insprion
line that has fairly low product review ratings.  I'm probably going to go
with a Targus ACP50US ($129 MSRP, I have to check eBay and other vendors
prices) as it has, in addition to a serial port and four additional USB
ports, a VGA connection for my 19" LCD external monitor.  Dell's specs
indicate the video card I ordered will support multiple monitors, as do the
Targus specs. With a little rearranging of the shack desktop I hope to get
dual video using the laptop's screen and the external monitor.

Radio interface - After considering multiple options, and looking at my
holiday and contest calendars, I've decided to use a gradual approach..
Rather than try to rush things and get myself all tied in a knot with more
problems than I can handle, I will probably start slowly and leave the old
Compaq attached to the radio while I explore the new Dell and Vista and get
my files transferred over to the new machine.  I intend to purchase a two
port Byterunner USB adaptor, their USB-2Com - M model, with the FTDI chipset
($59).  This model comes enclosed in a metal box which may be help prevent
RFI issues.  This will give me three serial ports - one on the docking
station and two in the Byterunner.  Should the docking station serial port
be a no go I will still have the second Byterunner port to try.  Hopefully
this approach will minimize the changeover to the Dell without a lot of
trauma.  If all goes well and this setup is running for several upcoming
contests I will probably purchase a MicroKeyer II.  Then at my own pace I
can study the manual and reconfigure the station to run with the MicroKeyer
II.

Sorry for the length and detail, but I wanted to give all who took the time
and trouble to reply to my query some feedback.  I really appreciate all
your comments and hopefully someday I'll feel comfortable helping out
another confused soul!

73,
Gary AL9A