[WriteLog] Writelog and Antenna Rotor Messaging

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Writelog and Antenna Rotor Messaging
From: Roger Rehr <w3sz@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 18:16:29 -0500
Writelog works fine with my Orion Rotors via a com port.

But for VHF contesting I have long used a homebrew rotor controller
program that interfaces to whatever logging program I am using
[RoverLog or N1MMLogger] using a DDE, so that I can quickly move the
Orion rotor to any heading manually by either clicking on a degree valu
or typing in a number, as well as by accepting the output from the
logging programs that is based on the 'other' station's grid square.  I
use this interface program because the rotor control functions in ANY
logging program are just much too limited for optimal VHF Contesting,
at least for me.  A picture is worth a thousand words in explaining
what my little interface program does.

See http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/TerrRotor.jpg for a picture of the
program window.  What is does will be immediately obvious.

I am considering using WriteLog for VHF contesting if I can get some
other things straightened out, and it looks like it uses the Windows
Messaging API rather than the DDE to communicate with ARSWIN.  I used
the ARSWIN DDE to interface my homebrew rotor program to N1MMLogger and
RoverLog, so I need to modify my program to work with WriteLog and the
Windows Messaging API.

I know that the ARSWIN windows handler has lpClassName "ThunderForm"
and pCaption "ARSWIN", and that the lpClassName is "AZIMUTH" and that
the two parameters that are passed are angle and rotor type.  So I need
to write my code to fit this.  I believe that WriteLog is the client
and "ARSWIN" is the server, but am not sure on this point.

Has anyone written any Visual Basic or C or other code to take the
windows messages available from WriteLog and control a rotor in this
manner?  I have not used the Windows Messaging API before and am not
very smart, so even though I have been reading on the web and hacking
my DDE-based code I haven't been successful at getting things to work
using the Messaging API.  So I could use a jumpstart like looking at
someone else's code for a similar application.

Thanks in advance, and

73,

W3SZ
Roger Rehr