Re: [WriteLog] Monitor Size For WriteLog

To: "'Anthony(N2KI)'" <n2ki@amsat.org>, <WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Monitor Size For WriteLog
From: John Brosnahan -- W0UN <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 20:18:16 -0600
Anthony --- A few points about LCD monitors for SDR.

1)  When I look at LCD TVs the SAMSUNG ones all seem to
stand out from the rest of the pack.  SAMSUNG set out to be
the #1 supplier of LCD monitors and screens and now leads
all others. They are not always the cheapest, but to my
money they are the best out there.  I had purchased a couple
of other makes early on but now I only buy SAMSUNG and
own a half dozen or so.

For a computer monitor for SDR you will probably be happy
with about anything, but if you plan on playing DVDs
on it by any chance, then the SAMSUNG will stand out.

2)  19" WIDE (1440 x 900 pixels) is now about the most
common monitor size and the price is very good.  Prices are
now well under $200.  But if you can afford anything larger then
by all means go up to the biggest you can muster.  The 22" wide
(1680 x 1050) is a decent step up and can be had for not much
over $200.  But if you can afford it then step up to the 24" wide
size with 1920 x 1200.  This will cost you up to close to $400
for a really good one but you will never regret it.  And you can
do great CAD on it as well.

The one thing I would really make sure you look at if you buy
something other than SAMSUNG is response time.  I think the
SAMSUNG ones are ALL very good, but I'm not sure about some
of the bargain ones being discounted heavily.  You need to be
down in the 6mS or so response time to eliminate any ghosting.
This is mainly a requirement for fast video like movies, but is
also applicable for things like the bandscope display with SDR.

3)  And the most important thing to look at is the store's
PIXEL POLICY.  This is a statement they make on how
many (and sometimes, what kind) of dead pixels you will
need to have before you return the monitor.  I buy almost
everything BUT MONITORS through mail order.  With
monitors I want to see what I am getting before I take it
home.  Some mail order places have pixel policies that
require as many as EIGHT dead pixels before you can return
the monitor!!!!!  Dead pixels are MUCH rarer these days
and I virtually never see any with SAMSUNG.  But you need
to be aware of the issue before purchasing a monitor.

I actually buy my monitors from SAMS CLUB.  IN-STORE
only though and not via on-line ordering.  The prices are always
very good, you don't have to worry about shipping damage issues,
and they have NO PIXEL POLICY.  In other words, if you are
not happy with the monitor you just bring it back -- no hassle.
Here is a link to their web site for a look at what they offer,
but make sure you just look at the in-store models.
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dimId=1005902&catg=5902

The last three 19" wides that I purchased were all perfect -- no dead
pixels at all.  Actually I don't think I have ever had an issue with
a SAMSUNG.

No tie to SAMS CLUB or SAMSUNG -- just found this route was
what worked best for me.

73 es gl  John  W0UN