[WriteLog] Enabling CW keying via LPT1

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Enabling CW keying via LPT1
From: "Rick Lindquist" <n1rl@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:58:21 -0500
I purchased a copy of WL only to find out that it does *not* support LPT1
for direct CW keying when you're running XP. (I have no interest in keying
CW via the PTT line; I want to be able to hear the sidetone.) This seems
unreal to me, and I'm very close to asking for my money back. I purchased WL
because it's gotten great reviews and felt it would likely have better
support down the road. I also know a lot of folks use it for RTTY contest
logging, and that was a big consideration.

I've used CT for contest logging for many years now, and it keys just great
via LPT1 with a W1WEF interface (ie, LPT1 plug with a keying line connection
to the rig's key jack). CT doesn't seem to support RTTY contesting and,
anyway, I want to consolidate all my logging - general and contest - into a
single logger (porting my general log from Win-EQF to WriteLog was no
problem).

WriteLog's help file cites the Direct-IO add-in as a solution to the LPT1
support issue, but (1) it costs nearly as much as WL ($29) and (2) I
downloaded a trial copy of Direct-IO and WL still wouldn't let me set LPT1
to key the rig directly (the WL help file says the program will
automatically recognize it, but that didn't happen, even with rebooting; the
selections are still grayed out).

I figured if all else fails, I could key the radio via a USB-serial adapter
(ie, COM port), but WL apparently only supports COM 1-4. I have only COM 5,
7 and 8 available, and two of those already are occupied with other devices
(my four-year-old laptop has 3 USB ports plus one LPT).

I've been to the WriteLog reflector archives on contesting.com, and, while
this subject is addressed, I didn't see anything that pertains directly to
my situation. At this point, I feel I've squandered several hours that I
could have put to better use. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Rick, N1RL