Re: [WriteLog] Enabling CW keying via LPT1

To: "Rick Lindquist" <n1rl@earthlink.net>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Enabling CW keying via LPT1
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 17:54:06 -0900
Rick,

Don't be so quick to pull the plug on WL.  It is a great program, just takes
time to get up the learning curve.  I've never used LPT1 for keying, always
gone through a comm port and now a USB to Serial adapter under Vista.  The
LPT1 issue has generated many posts to the reflector over the years.  If
memory serves me correctly, the issue is not that WL doesn't support LPT1,
it's that later versions of Windows don't allow use of LPT1.  That would
include XP and Vista.  If you had an old machine running Win98 or Win2000 I
believe you would find LPT1 would work with WL.

As to your comm port problem, there is a way to make WL work with up to 15
comm ports.  You need to make an entry in the [PORTS] section of the
writelog.ini file to add the CommSlotn= command to reassign a comm slot
higher than 4 to one between 1 and  4.  The syntax is important.  Below is
the pertinent section from the WL Help file.

There are 4 "slots" available for WriteLog rig interfacing. By default,
CommSlot1 is COM1:, but you can change that by changing the number on the
right of the equal sign. These settings are not used for RTTY or for packet

CommSlot1=1
CommSlot2=2

In this example, the third and fourth slots are on COM7 and COM8. COM15 is
as high as is supported.

CommSlot3=7
CommSlot4=8

73,