[WriteLog] PGP for dummies

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] PGP for dummies
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 18:42:27 -0700
I just purchased WriteLog and got the e-mail from K5DJ with the
download info (which differs from the download filenames on the WL
website).  I figured out that I could add .sig to the .exe filename
to download the PGP signature file.  The
<http://www.writelog.com/WriteLogSales.asc>WriteLogSales.asc  file
wasn't attached as indicated in the e-mail, so I grabbed it from the website.

The MIT site no longer has a freeware copy of PGP (the WriteLog web
site and canned e-mail need updated), so I downloaded and installed
PGP trial version 9.8.3 from www.pgp.com.

So now I have the WriteLog .exe, the .sig file, and the public
key.  I imported the key, which PGP says is 'not verified'.

I tried to use it to verify the .exe, but it says the key is
invalid.  Same result with the .sig file.

Obviously, I'm missing some piece of the puzzle.  Anyone care to
enlighten me?  I expected a learning curve for WriteLog, but I
haven't even installed it yet!

Thanks,
Terry N6RY