Re: [WriteLog] Double serial numbers?

To: "'Daniel VE2SB'" <ve2sb@amsat.org>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Double serial numbers?
From: "Ed Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 08:53:03 -0800
> Bonjour contester's. As I will used 2 separate (non network)
> computers for the next WPX. One computer for 15m,  40m and
> the other for 20m, 80m. What appen with the serial numbers
> when I will merge those 2 log? Any conflict?

Nothing happens with the merge.  After merging, you will have duplicate
serial numbers which is not the single serial number stream required of
single-ops.  You should network the two computers and let WriteLog attempt
to manage a single serial number stream.  I say "attempt" because there will
still be a few duplicate serial numbers and a few missing serial numbers.
These few exceptions occur when both computers have a QSO in process and
each grabs the next (and same) serial number.  Other times a computer grabs
a serial number and then aborts the QSO and the serial number is not used
because the other computer has meanwhile grabbed a higher serial number.

Log checking tolerates all these deviations from a complete, monotonic
sequence of serial numbers for the SO2R station.  Even your proposed
operation of two non-networked computers resulting in each serial number
being assigned twice to different QSOs can be accommodated by log checking.
However, it is recommended and preferred that single ops follow the rule of
one serial number sequence for the complete log.

Ed - W0YK
CQ WPX RTTY Director