Re: [WriteLog] DVK on ACC-2 Kenwood TS-2000

To: "'Steve Forst'" <kw3a@snip.net>, <WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] DVK on ACC-2 Kenwood TS-2000
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:09:28 -0500

> To me the ports setup  menu is a nightmare and the .ini
> file is a hodge podge.  But despite that, rig control is
> ok on comm1, FSK works via the Rascal on comm 7, and I
> key CW via a transistor interface on comm 6.  I can also
> TX PSK via the Rascal on comm 7.     I know something is
> set wrong, but can't figure it out for the life of me.

WriteLog has three sources of PTT:

1) The CW port ("All mode PTT on CW port RTS")
2) Radio command on the rig control port (Comm PTT)
3) The RTTY port (RTTY Window | Port)

The first two sources are used for all modes (CW, SSB, digital)
but the third source is active only in RTTY.  It is unfortunate
that WriteLog does not appear to be able to use the same port
for FSK (FSK=TxD, PTT=RTS) and CW (CW=DTR, PTT=RTS) but that
would be difficult in Windows - particularly since WriteLog and
RTTYrite (the RTTY Window) are really separate programs that
communicate using DDE.

In your case, I assume the RASCAL is connected to pin 9 (PKS)
on ACC2.  That works for PSK31/AFSK audio (it is the correct
way to do PSK31/AFSK).  However, since COM7 is used only in
RTTY, you are not activating PKS (and therefore not enabling
audio from PKD and muting the front panel microphone input)
when using the DVK (voice macros).

Unfortunately, neither the CW interface (COM 6) nor the
radio command (COMM PTT) enable the PKD input (ACC2, pin
11).

Since you should not care if the front panel mic is active
during DVK playback, if it were me I would simply connect
the PTT line from the CW interface to PKS (ACC2, pin 9)
in parallel with the PTT from the RASCAL.  PKS will work
for CW PTT, DVK PTT and RTTY PTT in all Kenwood rigs except
the TS-440 and TS-940 (which require PTT on BOTH 9 & 13).

There are some other considerations for Kenwood rigs (I do
not have the rigs so I don't know the specifics on each
model) ... in some of the rigs, PKD (ACC2, pin 11) is active
in parallel with the front panel mic while some mute PKD
unless PKS is active.  For those radios in which PKD is
active at all times, the station microphone can be connected
to the sound card (Mic In) instead of the transceiver and
WirteLog's built-in audio switching can be used for mic/DVK
selection.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV