[WriteLog] K3 CW and RTTY Keying in Writelog with Vista

To: "Writelog" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] K3 CW and RTTY Keying in Writelog with Vista
From: "KD3TB" <idarack@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 17:03:16 -0400
Thanks to everyone who offered assistance in getting this to work.  I would
especially like to thank Mike, K2MK, who sent me screen shots of his
settings and offered numerous suggestions. After a lot of experimenting, and
using the method I have listed below, I have now been able to get Writelog
to key CW and RTTY with my K3 Radio.  I was able to confirm this on a second
computer and separate K3 radio. Both computers are running Vista. I had to
use a program call LP-Bridge which is freeware and lets you set up virtual
com ports to get Writelog and the K3 to sync in Vista. The sequence I
followed was the key to getting it working. I'm not sure if this was because
of Vista or Writelog. Once I had it set up, it worked each time I opened up
Writelog the file (contest file I was using as a test). I get an error when
I open Writelog that states it cannot find the "wave files" and keys the K3.
Once you say okay, it un-keys the K3 and opens the file. Again, I am not
sure why Writelog is looking for these Wav files?

Writelog Keying in CW/RTTY Mode

I am using the most recent version of Writelog.

The sequence to get everything working was very important.

1.      Set the K3 Config: KEY-PTT in OFF-OFF

2.      Run LP Bridge and get Writelog to recognize the rig frequency

3.      Set up the Writelog Ports and PTT Settings I have listed below.

4.      Save this Configuration in Writelog (Writelog Menu Option under
Tools to save configuration)

5.      Put the K3 in CW Mode

6.      Set the K3 Config:KEY-PTT to RTS-DTS

Try keying CW through the Writelog CW Keyboard or a Macro Setting

For RTTY - Install MTTY (recommend version 1.66G) and the Writelog MTTY plug
in file: MMTTYPluginforWritelog_V13.Exe

The file can be found at  http://www.writelog.com/ThirdPartyDownloads.htm

Computer:

Vista (Business) 32 bit

Sound Cards are internal and external E-MU 0202

LP-Bridge running version 0.989

K3 Rig set to Com4 with 38400 baud rate

K3 setup:

Config: PTT-KEY - RTS-DTR

CW Mode

Vox (can be on or off)

For RTTY, place the K3 in Tx Data Mode

Other settings of Config:KEY-PTT

DTR-RTS - Key K3 no CW output

RTS-DTR - Works (see above)

DTR-OFF - Does not key the K3

RTS-OFF - Key K3 no CW Output

OFF-OFF - Nothing Happens (obviously)

Writelog setup:

I have two sound cards (internal and external). You select the sound card
Writelog is using in "C:\Program Files\WriteLog\Programs\WlogSbControl.exe"

1.      In the Writelog Port Settings - select the correct Com Port and
Radio. Remember to set the correct baud rate for the K3 (38400) or leave it
on Auto. Auto is working fine for me.

2.      Set the CW to be the same Com Port as the Radio.

3.      Set DVK to be Window Sound Card and CW Keyer Type - PC Generates

4.      Check the All Mode PTT on CW port RTS

5.      In the CW Port window select - Command Rig on Com Ports

7.      It's important to Save this Configuration in Writelog (Writelog Menu
Option under Tools to save configuration)

 I hope this helps others in getting everything to work under Vista

Irwin Darack - KD3TB