Re: [WriteLog] Recording Messages

To: "Phil Theis" <phil@k3tuf.com>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Recording Messages
From: "Gerald Wilson" <gtwilson@integrity.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 23:40:41 -0000
Phil  K3TUF,

I am taking a guess here and may miss the mark on your problem, but this has
caught me before...........  by the way I am using Windows XP-Pro.  If you
are using Vista, I am withdrawing all suggestions. :-))   Others will have
experience with that OS.

Check the Windows "Volume" controls down in the lower right hand portion of
the screen, the little speaker in the Sys-tray.

1.  Click on that "speaker."  When that window opens, you will be looking at
the "Playback" controls.
2..  Click on the menu item "Options." You should see 3 options, one of
which is "Properties."
3.  Click on "Properties."  A dialogue box will come up which will show your
choice of Mixer device (soundcard) and also 2 radio buttons: 1 for
"Playback" and 1 for "Recording."
4.  Click on "Recording," make sure any desired input devices have those
green check-marks, and then click "OK."
5.  At this point, the "Recording Control" will appear showing all the
checked inputs from Step 4.  It is quite likely (certain) that 1 input
device will be already selected.  My computer says "Line In" is selected.
If I wanted to use the "Microphone" as an input device, I would need to
select "Microphone."  I have worded the last sentence this way because
different radio-to-computer interface manufacturers may route a microphone
input through various inputs.  [My computer only allows 1 input/recording
device at a time.]   Anyway, this is something I thought might be worthwhile
checking, if you had not already done so.  You may close that dialogue box
by clicking the "X" in the upper right.

Best of luck with the fix, and don't forget to post the "Final Resolution"
to this reflector so it will help the whole WriteLog user community.

73,

   Jerry    K7VIT