[WriteLog] RE; Pirate in CQWPX RTTY Contest (tony dicenzo)

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] RE; Pirate in CQWPX RTTY Contest (tony dicenzo)
From: John Griswold KK1X <kk1x@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 21:30:32 +0000
writelog-request@contesting.com wrote:
> My good friend KK1X raises a good question. While I agree it is essential to
> try to get a QSO right when making the QSO on the air, there are times when a
> correction to a log after a contest is appropriate, at least in my opinion.
> Here's an example:
>
> I made a QSO with a German station in CQ WPX RTTY and duly logged his report
> to me, serial number 485.  After the contest, he sent me an email, saying
> that saying he should have sent 486, and would I update my log so he can also
> correct his. I did, and thus he was able to correct his log. I copied and
> logged what was sent, in the spirit of contesting, as did he. He found his
> error, which was clerical, and the subsequent correction to our logs does not
> alter either scores.

Sorry, Tony, I can't at all agree (and I'll try to convince you at the
club meeting tonight!) - Had the logs been left alone, assuming he
logged 485 for two QSOs and skipped 486 right to 487, your log would
have been right, and his wrong. If it didn't improve his score, why did
he bother to get it corrected?
> It is so easy to make a mistake in sending a report or copy wrong when the
> bands are crowded or propagation conditions poor. If someone wants to follow
> up on an error and it doesn't affect the score they should be allowed to do
> it, even applauded for making the effort. After all, this is a hobby and good
> will should prevail.

It's also easy to swing and miss three times when a Little Leaguer is at
the plate. He doesn't get a fourth shot at it. Why? Because the rules
say three strikes. The rules even go to great lengths to define
precisely what constitutes a strike. Hitting a home run after then third
strike would affect the score of the game. If it's only a hobby, logging
485 instead of 486 wouldn't at all matter. But it's a contest, the
entire challenge of which is to exchange information correctly, quickly,
under all sorts of conditions, with lots of people, and within the rules
of the contest. If one doesn't care to play by the rules, one shouldn't
play.

At least that's my opinion.

--
John Griswold, KK1X