[WriteLog] WL Friend Popup Program for SSB - how to get and install it

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] WL Friend Popup Program for SSB - how to get and install it
From: Ray Day <rayday@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 20:51:47 -0700
Hi again all,

Here's what I did to add the "WriteLog Friend" Popup Program to my
WriteLog arrangement (PC, Win XP).

- - - - This will create a program that will, when WriteLog is
running, access the section of calls/names you have defined in the
HI_Section=HI part of WRITELOG.INI (Configuration) to use with the
FRIEND.INI file that matches names to entered calls. If you use the
%H function in messages in your CW/RTTY operation, all this
(friend.ini, etc.) preparation is already done. - - - -

This makes the work you did in creating friend.ini in WL for CW/RTTY
give you the same benefit during phone operation. When WL Friend is
installed and running, when you tab to the next field when entering a
call in the log entry window, a popup window will show up on your
monitor with the name associated with that call (if it's in the
friend.ini file). You first start up WL, then start WL Friend.

Here's what I did:

Go to <http://sdxa.blogspot.com/>http://sdxa.blogspot.com/

Go to 2008 Archive (right-hand side).

Click on "WriteLog Friend file" in the DEC Archive, seventh one down.

Click on "Instructions are here." Print this - it's a translation
that will help with the install.

Then click on "WLFriend.zip." SAVE THE ZIP FILE somewhere.

Unzip and find 3 files: setup.exe, SETUP.LST and WLFriend.cab.

Click on setup.exe. Click on RUN.

Use the translation "instructions" page to decipher the install
procedure. It goes like most Windows installs, from my experience.

It will create a cute "WL Friend" icon wherever you want it to go
(use BROWSE to choose the target directory) - in my installation the
target directory was C:\Program files\Writelog\Programs. Then I
created a "shortcut" on my desktop to start "WL Friend" after I have
WL running. You have to see it to believe it....very cool...with WL
and WL Friend running, type in a call in the log entry window and tab
to the next field, and if the call is in the friend.ini file, poof -
there's the your contact's name on your screen to make it look like
you've known the guy all your life!

I'm not a technical writer, so I hope this all works when you try it......

And thanks to Jim, AD1C, for the reminder to pass along the learning.....

73 to all,
Ray N6HE