Re: [WriteLog] Intermittent garbage keyed [Was: SSCW 2010

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Intermittent garbage keyed [Was: SSCW 2010
From: "Alan Marshall" <acmd@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 21:20:26 -0500
OK everyone,

I had the exact issue as all of you, i.e. the garbage keying and speed
shifting with my run computer.

I did one thing that SEEMS to have eliminated all of it.

    I deleted writelog.ini and had the WriteLog rebuild it.  Then I manually
added the things I needed for SS.
            PROBLEM GONE.
    I made no other changes to hardware or software for this to happen.

My theory is that my old writelog.ini had something that was bad and did
crazy things to the keying.

FWIW:      756 (old version); 10.81f Writelog (but it did it long before
that.)
                E-Machines laptop with AMD Athlon 64 running WinXP Home SP3
using 2 USB-Serial converters (FTDI chip cables) one for rig control and the
K1EL Winkeyer2 interface.

Problem seemed to start with the upgrade to SP3.  Don't think I ever saw the
issue before that.

NOTE:  I had the identical problem with my backup machine which was a Win7
Home Premium on a NETBOOK using an Atlas processor with the exact same
interfaces.  I first found the fix on that machine by deleting the
writelog.ini file and regenerating it.  Problem gone! It then has operated
flawlessly but I did not use that machine during the SS contest.

So perhaps some others might try this and see if it acts the same way there.

    -Alan, W1CCE