[WriteLog] Rig Interface HELP - Icom IC-746 Question

To: Writelog Forum <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Rig Interface HELP - Icom IC-746 Question
From: Clay Melhorn <n9io@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 07:37:15 -0600
Hello All,

Here is my last gremlin.

I have had an IC-746 for a few or more years now non-pro that I pretty much
only use for the 2m end of vhf contests
while I use an FT-920 Yaesu on 6m. Only interested in 2 band vhf as I mainly
like HF contesting.

I have built a couple of Icom rig interfaces and even purchased one on-line
from a vendor that I was told sold great interfaces.

Now I found a deal from a local friend who had purchased a flex radio and sold
all of his Icom equipment.
The last piece he had was a brand new never used out of the bag REAL honest to
God CT-17 that I got a great deal on.

So now I know there MUST be a settings issue.

What is the trick to get a solid "reliable" rig connection to Writelog and an
IC-746?
It drops connectivity constantly, can't rely on it at all, I go into ports and
click ok and it returns for a few more minutes.
If you change freqs much it drops, if you sit on one freq it drops, I cannot
believe Icom would put out an interface this unreliable.
Both of my FT-920 rigs are solid as a rock, best I've ever seen.
I am sick of babysitting this stupid thing, it detracts from operating, log
gets screwed up if I don't catch right away that the freq is off
particularly if there was a band change.

Anyone ever have any luck at this?

Clay Melhorn N9IO Bonfield, IL
Webmaster: KARS - Kankakee Area Radio Society - W9AZ http://www.w9az.com/