[WriteLog] COM 5 CW keying problem

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] COM 5 CW keying problem
From: "Ronald Lodewyck" <RLodewyck@csustan.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 16:11:49 -0700
Help!

Having trouble getting new homebrew CW keying interface to work with Writelog.

Problem:
No CW keying on COM 5 if COM6 = Rig = Elecraft K3.
Keys CW OK on COM5 DTR if No Rig is selected.

Details:
COM5 and COM6 are Edgeport/4 USB to Serial adapter.
DTR is keyed via an optoisolator.
DXLabs works perfectly with rig=K3 on COM 6 and CW keying on COM 5.
Writelog controls K3 AOK on COM6 whether CW port set to COM 5 or not.
If I set CW port to COM 5 and NO RIG selected, Writelog keys CW just fine.
But, if I then set COM 6 to Rig = Elecraft K3, transmit light comes on but no
CW keying.
I changed to use a separate Prolific USB to Serial adapter for rig control on
COM 3 and get same result:
 i.e. No CW keying on COM 5 if rig selected on COM3, CW keying on COM 5 works
fine if I select NO RIG on COM 3 (or any other COM port).
All other control signals on COM 5 are left floating - they are not connected
to anything.

I have used Writelog a long time, and built many CW keying circuits over the
years and can't recall ever having a problem with any of them.  Is this a
Writelog / USB-Serial issue?

Thanks for any help.
73,
Ron N6EE