Re: [WriteLog] wav files

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] wav files
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 22:13:07 -0800
Andrew,

Welcome to WriteLog and the reflector.  I'm sure you will enjoy both the
software and the support group.

Setting up audio wav files and the WriteLog DVK to play them can be a
challenge at first, but once all the elements are in place you'll enjoy the
result.  First, make sure to read the Help file documentation before
attempting to setup your wav files.  In the Search box enter DVK and list
the topics.  Look at all of them, but especially the section called "How
WriteLog sets up sound board mixers".  You can also get a lot of information
from Scot K9JY and his WriteLog help web pages at http://k9jy.com/blog/.

You can record your wav files in mono to keep the files small.  The only
thing is to make sure whatever settings you use to make the recordings, ALL
the wav files must have the same settings or they will not play.  I use
Audacity, a free program on the web, to record my wav files.  I use a
Default Sample Rate of 22050 kHz and a Default Sample Format of 16 bit.  You
can set this up in Audacity in the Edit/Preferences menu.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "...how should it read in the
config box..".  F key messages in WriteLog must be named msgn.wav.  The 'n'
in the name can be any number starting with 2, the first F key available for
playing a WL voice message.  You can also create wav files for all the
alphabet characters, i.e., a.wav, b.wav, c.wav, etc., and all the numbers
zero through 9, i.e., 0.wav, 1.wav, 2.wav, etc.  If you use the macro
command "%C" in a message memory location WriteLog will sound out the call
in the Call field by using the alpha and numeric wav files.  Sound the
characters out phonetically when you create the wav files, i.e., MIKE
WHISKEY ZERO LIMA ALPHA OSCAR, to get your call.  You can also create
msg.wav files with numbers larger than the number of F keys on the keyboard,
however in order to play them they must be called from within a standard
memory location.  For example, you could create a msg38.wav and chain it
together with other wav files on a given F key such as: F8 = %C
<msg8.wav><msg38.wav><msg4.wav>.  In this example pressing the F8 key would
phonetically sound out the other stations call and then play three different
wav files in sequence.

You can store your audio messages anywhere you like, but there are a couple
of things you need to do.  In WriteLog, under Setup/Ports, define your DVK
type as "Windows sound board" and click on the "Wave File Locate..." button
and navigate to your wav file folder location. Once there select a file,
anyone you like, it doesn't matter, and WriteLog will now know where to find
your wav files.  This location will be written into your writelog.ini file.
You can check the path name in the [Configuration] section to verify where
WriteLog will look to find your files.  The path is described the
WaveFileLocation= command.  I have created several message folders to hold
the wav files for various contests.  This prevents me from having to make
new wav files repeatedly for favorite contests.  I just copy the msgn.wav
files into my main audio location folder and replace the last contest wav
files with the ones I want to use this weekend.

There are many more things to learn about how to get more from WriteLog's
ability to play prerecorded messages with the F keys.  Once you get the
basics setup correctly and functioning we can explore more esoteric topics
on how to get more from your DVK and message recordings.  Another topic to
consider after getting the F key messages to play correctly is to consider
recording the contest.  Great way to review how you sound working stations
and to identify where to improve operating skills.  Good luck.

73,
Gary AL9A