[WriteLog] Heil Proset Elite recording question

To: "Writelog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>, "Microham User Group" <microham@yahoogroups.com>, "Icom 7600 User Group" <icom7600@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Heil Proset Elite recording question
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:40:18 -0900
Excuse the multiple posts, but looking for someone who may be able to steer
me in the right direction.

I got a new Heil Proset Elite headset for Christmas and am running into a
problem with the way the audio sounds when recording wav files with
Audacity.  My previous headset was an old Heil Pro with the HC4 element.
The new Proset Elite has the HC6 element.  I went through the setup for my
Microham Microkeyer II to get the audio drive levels set for the new mic in
router and Vista.  I've been playing with the SSB TX Tone Bass & Treble
settings in the IC-7600 Set/Level menu and think a setting of +1 on the Bass
and +3 on the Treble sounds pretty good for contest type audio in the
headphones through the Monitor.

My problem is when I use Audacity to record a wav file using the HC6 mic
element and the Microkeyer II sound card.  The resulting audio file sounds
very bassey with little treble, more like a casual QSO type audio than a
contest type audio.  The wave form that is produced in Audacity looks quite
different than on my previous headset.  Prior wave forms looked very
symmetrical with pronounced audio peaks both above and below the center line
on the plot.  Now the wave form looks very clipped on the peaks above the
center line and most of the wave forms are below the center line.

Despite the settings in the 7600 it appears the treble is greatly reduced in
the recording.  I'm not an audio expert and have used very few of the
optional controls in Audacity so I'm not sure what if anything can be done
to improve the audio so it is closer to what I'm looking for.  Right now it
sounds like what would go out over the air "live" from the headset will
sound greatly different than any "recorded" message.  I'm hoping to get the
two closer together.  Any suggestions?  Is this the normal behavior of the
HC6 mic element?  Have I got something screwed up in the Vista audio
settings?  Any ideas appreciated.

73,
Gary AL9A