Re: [WriteLog] First time setup help with wav files!?!?!?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] First time setup help with wav files!?!?!?
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 20:19:25 -0900
Randy,

Dan's method works, but is extremely limiting of the DVK functionality in
WL.  By using Shift+Fn to record messages you can only record messages in
the F2 - F11 keys.  If you want to use the Shift+Fn memory buffers you must
either rename each message you recorded in F2 - F11 to from msgn.wav to
msgn+10.wav.  In other words msg2.wav must be renamed to msg12.wav, msg3.wav
renamed to msg13.wav, etc.  Then after renaming these 10 wav files, record
new Shift+Fn messages!  Then you must figure out how to call the Shifted
memory locations without over writing a message you want to keep.  Tip - set
up keyboard shortcuts to define unused keys to call these memory locations
instead of pressing Shift+Fn, which will invoke record on the fly again and
wipe out some message you probably wanted to keep!

The other limiting problem is you are restricting yourself to only the audio
messages you were able to record this way.  This severely hampers the power
of the WL DVK.  For instance, if you record 0.wav though 9.wav and a.wav
through z.wav, WL can sound out calls entered into the CALL field by parsing
the various letters and numbers together.  For more info on how this works,
see the article "Who Needs A Microphone For A Phone Contest?" by NS3T on
page 34 in the Jan. 2012 CQ magazine.

As others have mentioned you will be far better off downloading the free
Audacity program and using it to create your audio files.  In Audacity go to
Edit/Preferences and set your Default Sample Rate, 22050 Hz, and Default
Sample Format, 16-bit.  For WL to work with wav files they must all be
created with the same parameters, mixing recordings from different recording
programs will result in problems.  Give it a try, I think you'll like the
end result.

73,
Gary AL9A