Re: [WriteLog] ARI Contest Difficulty

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] ARI Contest Difficulty
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 15:57:57 -0800
Jim,

I noticed the Bandmap click problem in the contest too on one occasion.
After the contest I played around with it a bit and discovered that if you
clicked on a call in the Bandmap that was within the standard RTTY frequency
range the mode stayed put on RTTY.  However, if I clicked on a call dead on
14080 MHz or slightly lower the radio (IC7600)  would QSY to that frequency
AND change mode to CW.  There must be some logic in the ARI module that
causes the mode to change if you jump to a frequency outside of the RTTY
frequencies.  I didn't play around long enough to discover the upper
frequency where the mode would change, but it's likely to happen there too.

This was my first ARI contest and I discovered a couple of other "bugs" in
this module.  In the Check Call window if you have previously worked a
station on another band it doesn't show you that QSO.  I was changing modes
between CW and RTTY so it may have been that I worked a station in another
mode and that prevented the info from showing up?  Not sure, but it is
confusing because of the next bug.

In the Entry when you enter a Call that you have worked before the RCVD
field populates with the information from that QSO.  This makes sense if the
station in the Call field is an Italian station as his two letter Province
indicator should remain unchanged.  However, if working a non-Italian
station the RCVD field is populated with the serial number from the previous
QSO.  This makes no sense whatsoever as his serial number has obviously been
incremented since the last contact and now you must clear the old info out
and enter the new.  Easy to do on RTTY, bummer on CW.

Finally, the Mults window is off for at least one Province.  I worked IQ2LS
who sent me MB as his Province indicator.  According to the ARI rules this
is a valid Province abbreviation for the I2 call area.  However WL instead
place a ? in the mult column.  When checking the Mult window there is no MB
abbreviation listed in the I2 call area block so apparently there is an
error here that needs correcting.  Hopefully the contest robot will credit
me with that mult and up my score a bit to match.

I'm not sure if the ARI module was developed by Wayne or Steve as a WL
module or if it was part of a third party developer package.  If the author
sees this message I hope he makes some corrections.

73,
Gary AL9A