Re: [WriteLog] Computer Up Grade

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Computer Up Grade
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 10:03:18 -0500

What problems do each present. I know the windows machine is less
expensive, but I am getting tired of keeping anti-virus software up
to date, upgrades etc.

Unless you plan to load VMWare or Parallels on the iMac in order to
run Windows emulation, you will need to give up Writelog with the
microKEYER and switch to other, generally less effective, software for
contesting, RTTY and general logging.  On the other hand if you do use
Windows emulation you are right back into the "Windows support" cycle
for the emulation.

Even the Macintosh operating system has issues with software updates,
patches and upgrades.  I bought into the Mac five or six years ago
and found that software updates - and with Mac you update or your
software stops working with operating system upgrades - and the OS
upgrades could quickly become onerous.  It reached a head this past
year when the software I was using would not run on the OS version I
was using *and* the Apple system I had (an Intel Core 2 Duo based
CPU) could not be upgraded to the current version of the Macintosh
operating system.

Unlike the Windows world where users are capable of maintaining 10
year old hardware and most software will run on even the newest
version of the operating system, Apple makes even five year old
hardware and expensive paperweight (I'll probably format the hard
drive and install Windows 7/32 or a spare copy of Vista!).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV