Re: [WriteLog] [SECC] Windows 7

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] [SECC] Windows 7
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 14:27:57 -0500

The example configuration for WriteLog and microHAM microKEYER II that
is available in Router ("Help | Download Documents") or on-line in the
MK II area (for MK II) at www.microHAM-USA.com/Support.html - works
just fine with Windows 7.  There are also versions for other microHAM
interfaces and other programs.  There are literally thousands of users
following those guides with no problems.

One *MUST* realize that Microsoft *changed the way audio is handled*
in Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.  Applications are now no longer
permitted to control the hardware directly - Windows imposes a hardware
abstraction layer (virtual sound cards) that the applications interact
with.  This prevents Router from being a "master controller" for the
audio - that is now done in the *Windows Volume Mixer*.  In addition,
Windows only permits *one* active input and *one* active output per
sound card - it is no longer possible to have both the mic and line
input open at the same time.

Finally, if Windows is using a sound card as the "System Default" for
input (microphone) or output (speaker), other applications can not
change the active input (e.g. Line) on that sound card.  Since Windows
*always* has a default sound device, it is very difficult to receive
RTTY with a motherboard sound card and *dangerous* to do PSK31/AFSK
with a motherboard sound card since *any* wounds made by Windows *or*
received by a browser, etc. will go directly to the radio!

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV