Re: [WriteLog] Solid State Drive ?

To: W5XB <w5xb@att.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Solid State Drive ?
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 18:33:37 -0700
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 6:20 PM, W5XB <w5xb@att.net> wrote:

> The supplier suggested another way to speed things up: use a solid state
> drive since I don't need a large drive. At about $1 a gigabyte, it seems a
> good a good choice.
>
> Is anyone using an SSD? I am guessing the flash memory is not bothered by
> the presence of high RF energy, but I am not sure...so I am asking.

Grant, I have built four machines now with 120 GB SSDs (mostly OCZ
Vertex 3, which were running about $80 when I bought them).  I use
them for the boot partition (C:) only.  I have My Documents, etc. on
the magnetic drive, as well as most of my program installations.

So far, no problems.  The oldest is a year old.  Boot time is pretty fast.

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us