Re: [WriteLog] 11.11C & XMMT

To: "'Writelog'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] 11.11C & XMMT
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 00:49:20 -0500
Actually, I believe both Hardware and Software generated FSK have always had
this delay. I have been using both for a long time and
never really noticed it (reason why in next paragraph).

Unlike Ed, I do not rely on what's on the screen when transmitting for timing.
Instead, I use what I hear in my ears for timing
between the two radios and only look at the Rttyrite screen during a
transmission just to make sure the correct message is being
sent. The reason I never noticed the delay is because I turn MONITOR off on my
radios during contests. I do not want to hear to my
tones going out because I use my ears to tell me what's going on. If I hear
silence in my left ear, it means I'm transmitting on the
left radio. I then concentrate solely on the other radio that is receiving (the
ear I hear noise or RTTY on). I know Ed does this
differently as well. It wasn't until I did a couple of single band RTTY efforts
this year that I turned MONITOR on and noticed the
delay. With 2Tone in the main Rttyrite window, you are limited to only Hardware
or Software generated FSK (or AFSK).

HOWEVER, if you use MMTTY via XMMT.ocx and set up MMTTY to transmit FSK via the
TX and Misc tab screens in MMTTY setup, the delay is
only about one character. I just tested this a few minutes ago.

AND, if you use MMTTY via XMMT.ocx and set up MMTTY to use EXTFSK to transmit
FSK, it appears that what goes to the Rttyrite screen
is in perfect timing with what is being sent. Just tested this too.

I haven't tested AFSK yet. But I will do so as I continue to work on new web
pages documenting things like transmitting FSK and AFSK
options when using the various sound card modems.

73, Don AA5AU