Re: [WriteLog] Voice memories

To: <ln5o@la6fja.eu>, "John / NS1Z" <ns1zjohn@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Voice memories
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 21:49:25 -0800
John,

I highly recommend making your own recordings in your own voice. Even if you could find some files on the web it won't sound right when you have to fill in some information elements with your own voice instead of the recorded voice.

I too recommend the Audacity program for creating your wave files. It has a lot of capabilities, but most of them aren't needed to simply record your messages. You can edit the ones you create to remove leading and trailing dead spaces which helps a lot on playback when WriteLog parses the individual files together into a string.

Just be sure to use the same audio settings for all your recordings or some of them won't work if they have a different setting. In Audacity click on Edit/Preferences and then select the Quality choice from the list on the left side of the screen. I set the Default Sample Rate to 22050 Hz and the Default Sample Format to 16-bit. You can leave the other settings at their defaults.

I've found that I can record several wave files one after the other in a single recording and then use the editing capability of Audacity to highlight and select one wave file and then do a File/Export Selection as a wav file. Then select another segment of the recording and do a File/Export Selection and save that as another file name. By during this you can quickly record the basic files you need to parse out a call sign. Once you get the hang of that you can proceed to recording various contest exchange messages. Save the contest exchange messages in separate folders named for the contest. That way you can call them up for that contest whenever needed without having to make another batch of exchange recordings.

73,
Gary AL9A

-----Original Message----- From: ln5o@la6fja.eu