Re: [WriteLog] Virus alert after download

To: "steve@ai9t.com" <steve@ai9t.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Virus alert after download
From: Mike Armstrong <armstrmj@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 10:50:27 -0700
Steve and all, I would add that after your download succeeds, immediately
remove the network until your install is complete and Auto-protect is
re-enabled.  Then you can safely reconnect to a network.

I know that sounds a bit paranoid, but when you shut off your protections, it
is a good idea to remove any potential security issues until you can turn it
back on.  HOWEVER, if there is a need for immediate internet connectivity
during the install steps (to register or activate your software), then you
won't be able to disable networking.  In THAT case, don't use your browser or
anything else of that nature until, again, you can turn the auto-protect back
on.

There is a potential for mischief during those times you turn protection off,
temporarily, so do what you can to make sure nothing can happen during that
time.  AGAIN, I know it sounds a bit paranoid, but as an IT security
professional working for a very large IT company, I have almost "seen it all,"
so to speak.  Including the installation of malware during a short period of
time where auto-protect was shut off, for this same reason.  It was caused,
ostensibly, by the user doing some "web activity" during the rather boring
software install..... in other words, the guy was simply trying to do something
"productive" until the install completed.  Unfortunately, it was just bad
timing, as it were.

Anyway, I don't want to belabor the point..... security topics are often so
very dull for those reading it.... he he he.  Just use common sense and think a
little on the "paranoid" side during those few times you have to disable your
protections and try to mitigate the temporary "exposure" by being a bit more
observant and careful...... THANKS for taking the time to read this, folks.  :)
:)

Fair winds and following seas (aka 73's),

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka