Re: [WriteLog] CW Decoder/Audio settings issues

To: <writelog@contesting.com>, "microHAM America - W4TV" <support@microham.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] CW Decoder/Audio settings issues
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 11:36:45 -0900
Eric,

Here are the settings I use for the WL Sound Mixer Level Control.

xmit from PC - Headset Earphone (microHAM CODEC)
DVK mic - Headset Microphone (microHAM CODEC)
rec to PC - Line (microHAM CODEC)

73,
Gary AL9A

-----Original Message----- From: Eric Rosenberg Sent: December 26, 2013 10:19 AM To: writelog@contesting.com ; microHAM America - W4TV Subject: Re: [WriteLog] CW Decoder/Audio settings issues
What are the correct settings for the audio devices using the WriteLog
"Sound board mixer control" application before starting Writelog?

I suspect this is in the manual or application notes. If so, I haven't
found it.

73, Eric W3DQ

Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 18:21:54 -0500
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>

I would guess this might be a windows issue and not Writelog or the MKII.

Correct.  WriteLog has no audio input control, MK II has the front panel
pots.  Otherwise with Windows 7 and Windows 8 (the only versions of Windows
worth talking about), the only input level control is in the Windows
Control Panel - Recording Devices.  Be aware that you can not allow Windows
to use the sound card you will be using for WriteLog as
a "default system" or "default communications" device - if you do so
Writelog will not be able to select the desired (line) input.

Make sure you have configured the audio devices correctly using the
WriteLog "Sound board mixer control" application before starting Writelog.
CW Decoder will use the "rec to PC" device.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

and in a later message:

"While I'm constantly changing audio devices as I test and document things,
I make it a habit to always run the "Sound board mixer level control"
application before starting WriteLog to confirm the sound card selections.
Note - connecting a sound device to a different USB port will cause
Windows to reinstall the sound card as a different device
and will often cause the "new" device to become the system default sound
card and scramble the device order."