[WriteLog] Prefill files

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Prefill files
From: Hal Kennedy <halken@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 15:20:53 -0500
This may be redundant at this point - sorry if it is.
If you sent up the exchange entry as "overstrike" then operating with a prefill file requires no additional keystrokes. If the prefill is incorrect you just type the correct one right over the top as if it was any other QSO.

To change that entry to overstrike:

Go to: Contest>Exchange format setup, then click on QTH, then check the box for overstrike, then hit 'okay.' In older versions I WL I think you had to end with hitting "save."

I am using the ARRL DX contest from outside the US as the example. But, any entry in any contest can be changed this way.

Once that's done, the only risk or penalty for using a prefill is you may get complacent and stop copying and start letting the computer do the work. I find somewhere from1 to 5% of people move in a given year - you still have to copy everybody!

Prefill operating will yield slight improvements in speed (rate), accuracy and a reduction in fatigue.

73
Hal N4GG/4