Re: [WriteLog] split feature request

To: Writelog <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] split feature request
From: "Wayne, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 17:04:32 +0000
/It would be handy to put some simple control like %S in the exchange message,
that will set SPLIT before
transmitting./

Limited way. (But I have another, more complete, solution below...)
This can be done with recent versions of WriteLog using the $GTnnn, but with a limited set of rigs: K2, K3, Kenwood, FTDX-9000,5000,2000. The reason for the limitation is that WriteLog only supports sending custom commands to those rigs that have ASCII characters on their COM port protocol.

It takes some head scratching to figure out what "$GTnnn" means and how to put that in WriteLog's F-key memory setup, and you also have to make some writelog.ini entries in [Elecraft_K3_commands] or [Yaesu_commands], etc. Use the WriteLog Manual entry in Windows Start menu, find the "Search" tab and search for "commands" and look for the [xyz_Commands] and also for Tools Keyboard Shortcuts

Way you can try today.
Another alternative that also could be made to work with recent versions of WriteLog, and that would work with any rig that WriteLog already supports (including the FT-1000MP you mention) is to write a custom keyboard processor. See the documentation at:
    http://writelog.com/ExternalShortcuts/

In fact, what you are requesting is really a beginner's programming project. And I think its ideal for such a project because its use is so specialized that I don't see a good reason to provide and support this feature for all WriteLog users. So I could not help but demonstrate that fact, and have placed the following zip file on writelog.com:
    http://writelog.com/Downloads/WriteLogSplitCommands.zip
The honest truth is that writing the code in that download took me less time than composing the rest of this email, which is instructions on how to install it.

73,
Wayne, W5XD

Instructions:
Download the above zip file.
Unzip it into a temporary location.
You will get a number of files when you unzip, but I have included all the sources such that the free version of Microsoft Visual Studio can build it from source. But I have also included a built version of it, so all you need to do to try this out is follow the install instructions at the bottom of http://writelog.com/ExternalShortcuts/, which I customize here:

1. From the unzipped temporary location, find the file bin\Release\WriteLogSplitCommands.dll

2. Copy that file into your WriteLog install directory \Programs. You specified this when you installed WriteLog, but by default it would be: C:\Program Files (x86)\WriteLog\Programs on a x64 version of Windows, and without the "(x86)" bit if you have 32 bit windows. Just find the right directory and copy WriteLogSplitCommands.dll into it. If you have the default Windows User Access Control turned on (and I recommend you do! but that is another topic) it will ask for admin privileges to make the copy.

3. Edit writelog.ini. Find the [configuration] section and add these two lines:
ExtShortcutAssembly=WriteLogSplitCommands
ExtShortcutClass=WriteLogSplitCommands.ShortcutProcessor

4. The next time you bring up WriteLog, have a look at Setup keyboard Shortcuts. It will have these new entries under "Commands to run": Use this one to have the keyboard processor save your current split configuration. It remembers your TX frequency.
    External: Save TX freq

Use these 10 to send F-key message Message01 through Message10. But with the special behavior that before sending the message, the keyboard processor sets the rig to split, and to the TX frequency you saved using "Save TX freq".
    External: Split Message 1
    External: Split Message 2
    ...and so on, through Split Message 10.

With all the above, then, you do the Save TX freq just once on a run frequency.
Click in the bandmap.
Then hit the F-key as programmed for "External Split Message n". And you get the behavior you requested.