Re: [WriteLog] WL + RTTYrite + MicroKEYER - baud rate HELP!

To: "'Ray Day'" <rayday@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WL + RTTYrite + MicroKEYER - baud rate HELP!
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 20:38:06 -0400
Perhaps some comments will be helpful to both you and the list.

First and foremost, carefully read and follow the microHam application note
for WriteLog available on the Router's Help or Support menu (I forget the
exact name).  It is comprehensive and covers everything you need to do for
WriteLog and the microKeyer II to work properly in Windows 8.

Second, make sure you have a solid mental model of how FSK works in
WriteLog.  WriteLog can generate FSK two basic ways.  The FSK can come from
WriteLog's Rttyrite sub-system or it can come from one of the plug-in modems
like MMTTY or 2Tone.  One of the most common mistakes we all make is getting
these two methods confused and inter-mixed.

Rttyrite's FSK is specified by selecting (1) a Com port number in the
Rttyrite Ports menu, plus selecting one of the three generation methods at
the bottom of that menu.  Making these selections tells WriteLog that FSK is
coming from Rttyrite, not MMTTY, 2Tone or any other source.  Below, you say
you've selected Com8 and Software Generated FSK (TxD).  Therefore MMTTY has
nothing to do with your FSK and this is also why the FSK selection is grayed
out in MMTTY.

If you want to use MMTTY's FSK facility within WriteLog (instead of
Rttyrite's FSK), then select 'None' in the Rttyrite Ports menu.  Then, go
into MMTTY Options and the FSK checkbox will be un-grayed.  You also have to
specify the COM port number within the MMTTY options windows.

When you run MMTTY standalone, you must do FSK via MMTTY because WriteLog's
Rttyrite is (obviously) not available.  So, you cannot expect your
standalone FSK and your WriteLog FSK (given your choice of using Rttyrite
FSK) to work the same.  They are unrelated.  There are some sentences in the
description below that don't seem to make sense in this regard.

I expect your quandary about baud rate and stop bit counts and such will be
adequately answered in the microHam WriteLog application note.

Good luck and hope to work you in RU.

Ed W0YK

Ray N6HE wrote:

I've just set up a new MicroHAM MicroKEYER II as my interface between WL and
my Omni VII. ARRL RTTY RU coming..just noticed that my COM 8 FSK selection
(virtual serial port) in the MicroKEYER II says 9600 5N1   -   and it should
be 45 5N1.5  - looks like WL would open the port at the baud rate, etc. set
by WL in the RTTYrite window (I have TU TYPE = MMTTY, MODE = 45 BAUD, and
PORT = COM8  and Software generated FSK TXD). These settings worked fine
with the previous interface.

BTW, when I run MMTTY stand alone, which settings seem to transfer over to
WL RTTY, the COM8 port opens at 45 5N1.5. I have COM8 set to COM TXD(FSK)
and USB port set to C:Limiting Speed. However, when I use MMTTY stand alone
with port set to EXTFSK (because it's a USB connection?) and the EXTFSK port
set to COM8, the MicroKEYER port opens at 9600 5N1. Also, when MMTTY opens
under WL, the TXD(FSK) option is greyed out, only SOUND is an option under
the MISC tab. Sometimes in the past, this didn't seem to be a problem.

I use Win 8.1, 64 bit.

But WL opens the MicroKEYER COM8 port at 9600 5N1. So I'm not being decoded
by other stations (I receive fine).

My faint memory remembers something about WL and needing only COM ports 1-4?
I have a serial port board I was using before and it occupies ports 1-4. I'd
like to leave them that way for future flexibility, if I can.

Can anybody help get this right? Please email direct to rayday [at] cox
[dot] com as I only get daily digests from the group Thanks!!!