Re: [WriteLog] P49X Prefill file & Message SO2R vs SO1R

To: "'Radio K0HB'" <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] P49X Prefill file & Message SO2R vs SO1R
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 23:52:14 -0000
At the risk of starting another controversy...

SO2R is a learned skill.  It takes technology and practice to do well.

SO2R does offer a significant advantage - especially on RTTY.  In the
Roundup last weekend I had a 171 hour.  It was 91 contacts on 80m and 80
contacts on 40m.  Because the computer was doing the copying, it was
possible, with some good typing and timing skills, to "run" on two bands at
the same time.  This is a rate that is simply not possible for an SO1R
operator.

Even when S&P, having something to do on a second band while waiting for a
QSO to complete provides more "effective operating time" for the SO2R op.

These advantages exist, but are much less pronounced on CW and SSB.

Not sure SO2R needs to be a separate category, but it would be good if the
contest results indicated SO1R or SO2R in the line score.

Randy, K5ZD