Re: [WriteLog] Cabrillo File & Unclaimed QSO

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Cabrillo File & Unclaimed QSO
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 21:48:57 -0800
Hi Randy,

I hope you didn't misunderstand my position in my earlier email. I think the X-QSO feature is a great thing in WL. Just this weekend, during the CQP event, I logged 6 stations that were desperate to get in the log of a AK station for their WAS award. I logged each of these QSOs in my WL CQP log file even though none of them were in CA and could not give me the correct exchange info for a valid contact. We exchanged RST and then I marked the record as unclaimed in my log with X-QSO.

Post contest I created the Cabrillo file, which did not contain any of these QSOs, and a adi file for importing into my general logger. The adi file did contains all six unclaimed contacts and I uploaded the log to LOTW this evening. One of the stations emailed me back thanking me for working him in the contest despite the fact he was not in the contest and was anxious to get in the log of an AK station for his WAS.

I do not worry about a X-QSO call submitting a contest log and getting a NIL from the robot. The reason he was designated as unclaimed in the first place is because we did not complete a valid exchange. Something was missing from one or both ends that prevented the QSO from being a valid contest exchange. Whether or not the other party submits a contest log to the sponsor is immaterial in my opinion. For purposes of contest scoring our QSO did not happen. For other award credit perhaps the minimum was met. If not even this could be completed then I don't log the call at all.

73,
Gary AL9A

-----Original Message----- From: Randy Thompson K5ZD