[WriteLog] Writelog CTY updates

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Writelog CTY updates
From: "Alan Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 19:29:36 -0800
Some of you may recall my many postings of my dilemma trying to update my WL
CTY files. In my experiments I was able to successfully install WL 11.31A
and the latest CTY file on a PC running WIN 8.1, a laptop running WIN 10 and
an older laptop running WIN 7. However on the PC I use for contesting and
logging 11.31A would install OK and the CTY file seemed to update but once I
opened the logger and typed VERSION into the callsign box it would always
show Saudi Arabia from a old CTY file. What was frustrating is that if I
went to Program Data/WL/wl_cty and opened the file and searched for VERSION
it would always find the newest correct wl_cty file (presently Ukraine). I
could not figure out why since I had the correct wl_cty in my program
data/WL folder the program could not find it.

When I started, the PC in question was running WIN 8.1. I updated it to WIN
10 but still had the same problem with the CTY file. I wound up using the
laptop during the CQWWDX CW so I would have the correct CTY file

I still don't know why but I discovered if I opened WL by RIGHT clicking on
the WL32 application icon (either in the start menu or from program files
(x86)/WL/programs) and telling it to open using run as administrator all was
normal. If I opened WL by simply left clicking on the WL32 icon it wouldn't
find the correct wl_cty file. But if I opened it by right clicking and
telling it to run as administrator all worked FB. It was as if I was opening
two different programs. Once I discovered this I clicked on PROPERTIES,
clicked on the COMPATIBILITY tab and clicked on run this program as
administrator this solved my CTY update problem.

I don't understand all these administrator rules with WIN 8 and 10 but this
one bit me in the butt. I most likely put 500 hours into troubleshooting
this and it turned out to be a simple but elusive fix. Somehow I still have
a CTY file lurking someplace with Saudi Arabia as the VERSION that it will
go to if I don't run the program as the administrator. But by running it as
administrator all is OK.

So those of you having a CTY update problem check if you are running WL as
the administrator. That was my problem.

Good Luck & 73

Alan, K7ACZ

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Official USCG Auxiliary Comm Station
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Delta Rocket Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
Aviation Chief Warrant Officer,  U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
http://www.qrz.com/db/K7ACZ
 <http://gocoastguard.com/> http://gocoastguard.com
 <http://www.uscgradio.net/> http://www.uscgradio.net
 <http://www.comm-one.org/> http://www.comm-one.org