[WriteLog] WriteLog data files and data file updates

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] WriteLog data files and data file updates
From: "Wayne, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 03:42:24 +0000
To all WriteLog users.
Please refer to this for more detail:
    http://writelog.com/downloads/writelog-versions#MULTIPLIER

In summary:
WriteLog's data file maintenance, for all WriteLog versions, is changed
effective immediately. There now is a clear separation between the
country file download and all other file downloads.  I believe you'll
come to agree with me that this is a "good thing."

If you keep up to date with WriteLog releases, you have recently
installed version 11.32. With that version, and, we expect, for all
newer, you update WriteLog's data files using its two File menu entries,
    Web-Update-Country-Files  (callsign to DXCC country data, along with
within-country beam heading from callsign)
    Web-Update-Data-Files  (SCP and WriteLog-specific INI files that
change from time to time.)
Those two menu entries "do the right thing". They know what URL to go
to. They know whether you need admin privilege or not. And they know
where on the file system to put the downloaded data files. That's it.
Two sets of files. Two menu entries. Use them from time to time.

*Many thanks to Jim, AD1C, for hosting ***on country-files.com *a new,
WriteLog-specific zip file that has all the country file data and
within-country beam heading data WriteLog users. *

If you're NOT running the latest WriteLog, you need to read the page
linked above, in detail while understanding this most importantly: The
old WriteLog/File Update Data Files now updates SCP and INI files, but
NOT your country files. You must get those some other way, there are (at
least) two alternatives and they are spelled out.

Thanks,
Wayne, W5XD
Steve, N9OH