[WriteLog] CW Decoder working

To: <WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] CW Decoder working
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 21:25:21 -0600
This has little to do with Jerry's post concerning getting Rttyrite to
decode left and right channels for CW. However, in my testing to see if I
could duplicate his results, I got the CW decoder working on my Windows 10
computer for the very first time. This is the WriteLog CW decoder and not
the Rttyrite decoder set to CW that Jerry was referring to.

When I first got this computer, I could not get the CW decoder to work. It
acted like there was no input to the soundcard even though I knew there was
because Rttyrite worked. I sent a post to the WriteLog reflector looking for
a solution and received replies from others who said they also could not get
the CW decoder to work. I never could get it to work even it it worked fine
on my XP computer. Maybe this will help those who have the same issue.

Running WriteLog version 12, I just got the CW decoder to work. I did it by
going to the Sound board mixer control in the WriteLog start menu group. The
Sound board mixer control for version 12 is quite different than version 11.
It allows you to choose between Two Radios on One Device or Seperate Devices
per Radio (two soundcards). I chose to "switch to separate device per radio"
even though I have only one radio. For the Left Radio setting, I chose my
soundcard in the Rcvr drop down menu, then clicked OK. I opened WriteLog,
then went to the Setup menu and to Setup CW Decoder. In the Setup CW Decoder
window, I chose Stereo (2 radios) even though I'm only running one radio and
clicked OK. I then clicked on Start CW Receive in the CW decoder display
window and it started receiving.

I've been running WriteLog version 12 on this Windows 10 machine since Wayne
first introduced it to beta testers in early November. It's a very nice
upgrade. I helped beta test it, especially on RTTY, and was so confident
with it that I used it in the ARRL RTTY Roundup on one radio. I used version
11 on a separate computer (XP Pro) on my other radio and networked the two
WriteLog logs together. This works. You can network WriteLog on separate PCs
running different versions (11 and 12) of WriteLog.

Unfortunately I do not have an SDR (yet) but I'm itching to get one so I can
try out the new bandmap features that looks really cool (I've seen
screenshots). So don't be afraid to try version 12. I really like it.

73, Don AA5AU