Re: [WriteLog] more info on RTTY problem

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] more info on RTTY problem
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 13:23:06 -0800
Rob,

While I don't know how this relates to your specific problem, I have learned that MMTTY uses two .ini files that establish the behavior of your instance of the program. These are plain text files, and it's well worth the effort to study them in a simple editor. One is mmtty.ini and the other is userpara.ini. The settings that I ran into are those that set the Mark and Shift frequencies, and they are present for all of the dozen or so decoding parameter settings. I like to work with low tones (915 Hz, 1085 Hz), while MMTTY defaults to high tones (2125, 2295 Hz), and these defaults are stored in the .ini files. mmtty.ini is your current (last) settings for the program, while userpara.ini contains all of the programmable decoder settings, like Standard RTTY, Fluttered, and so on. Each of those sets of settings includes the Mark and Shift frequencies.

The way this can bite you is that you may set MMTTY for 915 Hz, then toggle from one decoding algorithm to another with the TYPE button and MMTTY switches to 2125 Hz as set in those sets of decoder settings. These decoder settings also include AFC on/off (default is ON) and NET on/off (default is ON).

Once I discovered this, I went into those .ini files and edited them so they always come up the way I like to operate.

73, Jim K9YC