Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog Digest, Vol 160, Issue 8 (was "ok-om contest")

To: WriteLog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog Digest, Vol 160, Issue 8 (was "ok-om contest")
From: Alan Maenchen <ad6e@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 08:46:31 -1000
I apologize for getting off on a hot foot earlier. But it does bother me
when the blame game tries to nail the wrong guy. I also appreciate Mike's
reasoned approach.

Honestly, I don't think money is the root issue. Nor is it the leash for
responsibility ... at least in this case where we're discussing contest
modules.

My point is that there are many contests, some more popular than others. No
one person should be put in the position of trying to monitor all the
various rules (some of which are poorly written) to see if a particular WL
module needs to be updated. That would be one hell of a job. As chairman of
the CA QSO party for many years, we would change some rule almost every
year, although most didn't need a module change. When such a change was
needed I personally spent my own time and effort to contact Wayne (and
other logger vendors) not only to provide the information needed to update
the module, but also to stick with it and make sure it got done. Throwing
out a rule change by simply changing the rule on the rule web page is NOT
adequate. Even posting the change notice on various reflectors is NOT
adequate. The cost of making a rule change is doing the work necessary to
make sure the change gets implemented across the board, and everyone who
enters the event will have fun. That's the bottom line.

Aloha, & 73, Alan  AD6E