Re: [WriteLog] Dueling-CQ Run Module (was Re: W2SC featured in May/Jun N

To: Dick Green WC1M <wc1m73@gmail.com>, Writelog Forum <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Dueling-CQ Run Module (was Re: W2SC featured in May/Jun NCJ)
From: "Wayne, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 02:22:28 +0000
On 5/30/2016 20:37, Dick Green WC1M wrote:
> If I compile it under Visual Studio 2015 will it work or do I have to dig up
> a copy of Visual Studio 2010?
Yes for WriteLog 12 if you can set the project to .NET version 4.0 or
3.5 and yes for WriteLog 11 if you set .NET to version 3.5. I am not
certain whether VS 2015 can be configured to support those older .NET
versions, but my memory is that it can. I cannot remember all the .NET
version compatibility constraints, so there might be other solutions.

The VS2010 Express version is free and, when I last looked a few weeks
back, could still be found on the Microsoft download site. It is
absolutely free for 30 days. After that its still free, but you have to
create a Microsoft account in order to get them to issue a registration
code via that account.

One thing the Express version (the free version) cannot do that the the
paid VS versions can do run its debugger on WriteLog while it is running
the assembly you built.  (The Express version debugger cannot launch an
external .exe nor can it "attach to process") For what its worth, you
can build with the Express version and debug with the equal-or-higher
numbered paid Visual Studio debugger. It is also possible to debug with
MessageBox... and print debug messages to a file...("real programmers
don't need debuggers"--I heard that somewhere.)

Wayne