Re: [WriteLog] CSS and radios

To: K5ZM <k5zm@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] CSS and radios
From: "Dean St. Hill" <dmsthill@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2016 11:12:36 -0400
Ian

With this stuff we are all learning and there are no dumb questions. I
certainly learn a tremendous amount about the software from the various
questions.

I believe the answer to your question is that the CSS will work 100%
without any radios and without an SO2R controller.

As you yourself point out I think it will have better functionality and
realism with rigs attached.

I have yet to get it going for rtty and ssb but I do have it going for cw
and it is cool to tune the rigs and hear the simulated stations tune right
into zero beat through the headphones even though you are not obviously
hearing the real rig audio.

The CSS makes use of (my interpretation) a virtual implementation of
another SO2R controller which I think was and probably still is supported
by YCCC. That protocol which i think is open source and already supported
in most contest software seems to be utilised in a virtual manner as I
don't have hardware that supports the protocol.

So in essence all you need is a computer with a soundcard and appropriate
headphones or speakers in order to use the CSS. Even if you have an MK2R+ I
do not think it performs any interactions with that controller but a rig
can certainly be used to tune stations on the band-map. I haven't tried
doing anything else with the radio so I cannot be 100% sure.

Hope that helps.

PS in order to get it going in rtty you need virtual audio cables which I
haven't gotten around to doing just yet.

Also on my laptop I was using an old USB headset and could not get it to
work until I realised that the headset maxed out at 32khz audio samples but
CSS needed to operate at 48khz - so for now I use the speakers of the
laptop and eventually could plug in regular headphones into the
speaker/headphone output.

Regards

Dean 8P2K

Dean St. Hill