Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog and Elecraft KDVR3

To: "Dean St. Hill" <dmsthill@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog and Elecraft KDVR3
From: Mike Heideman <mike_heideman@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 20:16:56 +0000
Dean 8P6SH/8P2K wrote:
> I am therefore asking if there is a particular benefit to utilising the k3's
> voice
> keyer as compared to writelog's.
> Specifically is it better quality audio, easier to setup, easier to use
> during a
> contest etc. I am asking largely for my own understanding as I had certainly
> intended to buy the K3 without DVR as I am very comfortable with the utility
> of writelog's  built-in solution.

Hi Dean,

For me it comes down to simplicity of installation and setup to enable both
on-the-fly recording and playback. I've had good experiences operating at
stations with Microham SO2R boxes which were set up by someone else. Everything
just works and doesn't require much tweaking when it's set up as a permanent
installation.

Unfortunately, at a club station my experience has been that it is difficult to
maintain a consistent environment. Audio settings and cabling on radios and
computers are adjusted by club members to operate RTTY or PSK31, use a personal
headset or desk mike, or listen to an audio or video recording on the computer.

When we want to set up for a multi operation then new computers with different
soundcards and additional radios get added to the mix. Trying to get audio
playback working properly on all of the stations is tedious and invariably we
end up with poor audio quality on the playback or inconsistent levels between
the mike and recordings.

After switching to the K3 DVRs several years back we eliminated all of the
audio setup on the computers. We stopped hearing comments about our recorded
audio being distorted or being inaudible compared to the live mike. Setting up
for multi-ops was greatly simplified.

Learning how to control the DVR playback and recording with WriteLog was just
gravy. It would be nice if dueling CQs worked and if all 8 messages could be
used without having to manually toggle between message banks. Hopefully those
can be resolved in the future and perhaps they already work with other logging
programs.

73,
-Mike, N7MH