Re: [WriteLog] NAQP CW Module Dangerous Behavior

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] NAQP CW Module Dangerous Behavior
From: Ned Swartz <nosatisfaction@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2017 14:23:55 -0400
I went to the WL website looking for whatever happened to the old NamedMult file and found:

File/Web-Update-Data-Files
updates super-check-partial files and WriteLog-specific data file updates but not country files.

and

For all WriteLog users, there is no requirement that you update these databases. A WriteLog full install (which you download when you purchase) installs a set of data files. WriteLog upgrade installs do not update the data files–you keep the ones from your full install or the ones you have updated using the procedures on this page. Running WriteLog with old country files affects WriteLog’s score and multiplier calculation while you are operating in the contest. Contest sponsors, however, generally run their own multiplier checking and do not look at any multiplier calculation in your submission. (In fact, the nearly universally used Cabrillo format has no place in it to count multipliers.)

I never used File/Web-Update-Data-Files because my habit has been to update SCP and Country files directly from their respective websites. Since reading the above on the WL site, I did a File/Web-Update and lo and behold my WL file from yesterday's NAQP now recognizes DC as a mult and puts DC in the Cabrillo file v. MD.

I guess I need to do a File/Web-Update on a regular basis but I still think my comment that loggers should record what was entered is valid.

Ned K1GU