Re: [WriteLog] newlines

To: Writelog Forum <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] newlines
From: "Wayne, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 01:41:20 +0000
>/1. When using RTTYrite, does Writelog send a newline (%R) as just CR or/
>/does it send both CR and LF?/

The %R in an f-key message is translated to baudot CR/LF (character 8 followed
by character 2) when it is
 sent to MOST TNCs including the COM port on FSK. If you have a COM port
selected in RttyRite, then you
are probably getting FSK. I am tentative because, for example, the DXP-38 and
the PK-232 TNCs have their
own COM port protocol and may or may not translate what WL sends them. And I
would have to read more
source code than I am currently inclined to track down exactly what happens to
%R on those COM-port based
TNCs.

>/2. When using MMTTY, does Writelog send a newline (%R) as just CR or does/
>/it send both CR and LF?/

Recall that RttyRite does not directly support MMTTY. The recommended path is
through xmmt.ocx.
For xmmt.ocx, the %R in an f-key message is sent as the two baudot CR and LF to
xmmt.ocx.
There is, of course, the possibility that MMTTY sees that sequence and
processes it into something else.
I have never bothered to try. It gets this opportunity only on AFSK (on FSK, WL
sends the characters
directly to the COM port) so you would have to decode the audio to determine
what it does.