[WriteLog] Fw: [GDX] Strange goings on.

To: "WRITELOG@CONTESTING.COM" <WRITELOG@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: [WriteLog] Fw: [GDX] Strange goings on.
From: Mike Streeter via WriteLog <writelog@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 21:01:45 +0000 (UTC)

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Mike Streeter <wm5dx@yahoo.com>To: Terry
Foskey <callingn5tf@gmail.com>Sent: ‎Monday‎, ‎March‎ ‎5‎, ‎2018‎
‎08‎:‎43‎:‎34‎ ‎AM‎ ‎CSTSubject: Fw: [GDX] Strange goings on.

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Mike Streeter via AllGDX
<allgdx@k5gdx.org>To: allgdx@k5gdx.org <allgdx@k5gdx.org>; n5tf@yahoo.om
<n5tf@yahoo.om>; Don AA5AU <aa5au@bellsouth.net>; cvrs@groups.io
<cvrs@groups.io>Sent: ‎Monday‎, ‎March‎ ‎5‎, ‎2018‎ ‎08‎:‎40‎:‎32‎ ‎AM‎
‎CSTSubject: [GDX] Strange goings on.
 As most of you know I run 2 stations here . Both are set up independently
without any connections to each other. The following applies to each station.
For RTTY each station has its own PC, (one running Win 10 and one running
Vista), its own Navigator interface, and Writelog. The following pertains to
both Version 11 and Version 12 of Writelog. I have tried both.
For decoding RTTY I have been using either MMTTY or 2 Tone. Now I don't really
know how long this has been going on but recently I noticed that when I
transmit the transmission would end exactly as it should but the Rittyrite
panel (the print panel) would repeat several of the last letters of the
transmission as incoming print. It did not actually transmit them. In Writelog
the incoming print is in black, the transmission print in blue, so you know
exactly what is being transmitted. Regardless of whether I was using MMTTY or 2
Tone, same behavior.This behavior irritated me because it looked like after I
sent WM5DX to call a station I would get 5DX come up as print after the
transmission, like the other station had sent my call sign back before I ceased
transmitting. Problem in a contest.
For several weeks I pondered this problem in truly English fashion. I sought
other advice, I tried all sorts of changes, both equipment and software.
Nothing helped. But, my English roots would not let me give up (remember
Winston Churchill).
Here is my solution.
I start my radio, load Writelog with 2 Tone as the decode software. Now, as I'm
sure all Writelog users know, in the Rittyrite pane if you hit "File" you can
open a clone screen. Open up the clone screen, hit "TU type" (just as you do to
set up the 2Tone screen) and select MMTTY from the drop box. You are then
setting up 2 Rittyrite panes, one running 2 Tone and one running MMTTY. Now
when you transmit the 2Tone Rittyrit panel will show the transmit message in
blue with the same problem persisting but the clone Rittyrite panel (running
MMTTY) will show the transmission in black but without the repeat of the last
few letters. (The clone screen is supposed to be receive only but it will show
the transmit message in black). As some have noted the 2 Tone transmission is
faster than the MMTTY transmission and ends earlier.
I'm happy with that arrangement because I also find that the 2 Tone screen
often decodes very weak signals slightly better.
Many of you probably run MMTTY and 2 Tone simultaneously and already know all
this but if it helps anyone your welcome.
73, de Mike, WM5DX.