[WriteLog] Digirite comments

To: WriteLog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Digirite comments
From: Alan Maenchen <ad6e@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 12:58:56 -1000
I used Digirite this weekend for the Hawaii QSO Party. It seemed to work
quite well out of the box although I had my usual Winderz sound card issues
to start with.

A couple of thoughts:

1) The TUNE function is great, but it could be better if it toggles on/off
with the mouse instead of the 3 seconds. Often I would click it and want to
truncate it quickly by clicking again. Just want verification that power is
going out and SWR is low. That takes less than a second but once started
there's no way to stop it except to wait.

2) For our QSO Party .. using HQP in state module .. i need to be able to
send my mult name (MAU) somehow but I don't know any tricks to do that for
each QSO. I could send a CQ as
CQ MAU KH6TU BL10
But I wasn't sending CQ very often.  I tried some edited variations but
they all seemed to either go out as "bad message" or <....> which I have no
idea what that means. I presume this is a limitation of FT itself and there
may be no solution to this problem. If there is, please let me know.

3) WL inhaled each QSO correctly except that it did not log the received
S/N although it did log the sent S/N. I presume that's a module issue and
it was looking for the usual 599? Also no recieved QTH was logged even for
DX stations which should be logged as "DX". It was not difficult for me to
manually edit the QSOs as they happened. Even FT4 isn't that fast. Plenty
of time to twiddle my thumbs.

I made 199 QSOs this weekend with FT4 or FT8 and I never used FT-anything
before.

73, Alan  AD6E / KH6TU