[WriteLog] Using a USB-to-serial adapter for Kenwood radio control

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Using a USB-to-serial adapter for Kenwood radio control
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 17:57:14 -0600
I have set up a clean Windows 10 install on a PC for my Kenwood TS-870.
Since I don't have any legacy COM ports on this machine yet, I ran the XE
RTTY contest with WL using a Mortty for FSK/PTT and a Cool Gear
USB-to-serial converter for radio control of the '870. This combination
worked great and I couldn't be more happier with it.

However, the Cool Gear converter doesn't belong to me and even though I can
use it any time I want, I would prefer to use one of two that I do own. The
ones I own are a UNITEK that has a genuine Prolific chip in it and the other
one is a TrippLite U209-000-R.

Neither the UNITEK or the TrippLite works with WriteLog to control the
TS-870. I don't think it's a driver problem because both installed fine and
both can communicate with other devices using Procomm. They just don't want
to talk to the Kenwood.

What happens when I try to use them with WL is that the little button in the
Entry Window that usually displays the frequency will read something like
"kHz LSB" or "kHz FSK". On startup, I was able to type a frequency in the
Entry Window and the radio actually did change to that frequency but then it
wouldn't do it again. This happens on both converters. Neither reads the
frequency. The display changes when I start WriteLog and CTRL shows on the
radio front panel suggesting there is control, but the frequency is not
showing.

I have tried changing some of the port settings but nothing seems to be
working.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Don AA5AU