[WriteLog] Remote problems - misc. (long)

To: WriteLog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Remote problems - misc. (long)
From: Alan Maenchen <ad6e@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 00:19:54 +0000
I've been having trouble with WL Remote for some time. The remote is 2600
miles from where I live so it is not so easy to troubleshoot normally.
However, I'm at the remote site now with an independent "control" setup to
test with.  FYI the control is a K3 that I brought from home and a new
laptop with not much on it other than WL and a few other things like
Chrome.  I connect the laptop to the internet via my cell phone "hot spot"
so it has an outside IP address.

The remote station is a K3, PC is a NUC i5 with latest Win 10 and an
external sound card (USB).

Both sides have WL 10.61

Last night I had everything working again except the microphone. The remote
K3 connections to the PC all seem to be OK since I can run DigiRite on the
NUC PC and it works.

After a re-boot of the laptop (control side), the WL Control Site window
now freezes when I click the "Connect Audio" button.  The connection
between the two K3s still works OK. WL still works (but no audio). The
control site setup window is unresponsive. If I try to close WL then it
also freezes. The only way out is with Task Manager.

A few things I've learned on this trip to the remote site:
1)  The blog seems to indicate that the control PC should be in TERM mode
before clicking the "connect" button. Not so!  Doing that leaves the
control K3 in TERM mode and unresponsive. However, changing it back to
NORM, wait a couple of seconds, then back to TERM and the two K3s lock and
the world is wonderful again. I've tried this several times. Clicking
"connect" while the control K3 is already in TERM also works quickly and
easily.

2)  Setting up the audio devices in Sound board mixer control has a red
herring. The blog indicates that it doesn't matter which setup window you
use. WRONG!  For a SO1R remote, must use the 2 radios on 2 devices window.
Just leave radio 2 blank. and op headphone and mic are blank.  Then I get
RX audio that comes out of the laptop speaker (control site).

3)  my ancient Winkeyer at the remote site worked for a while then crapped
out after connection was made. Winkeyer 1 seems to work. Winkeyer 2
doesn't.   (OK, that one is on me)

So, I'm again stuck since the control window (laptop) fails (freezes) when
trying to connect audio. It worked OK before I rebooted it. So, I'm not
able to troubleshoot the mic connection. Unfortunately I have to fly back
home in the morning so I'll try to pick this up again there.

If anyone has ideas about why the WL remote window freezes, I'd like to
hear about it. Again, this happens AFTER the basic connection is made. Only
when I click on "connect audio".

Aloha & 73, Alan  AD6E / KH6TU