[Yaesu] FT-1000MP 160m Spurious Response?

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000MP 160m Spurious Response?
From: ke7gh@primenet.com (Brian Short)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 08:19:11 -0000
I recall reading about spurious response on 160m with the FT-1000MP recently.

This has become more than an academic curiousity at my (poor) station.  My
160m TX antenna is a shortened half sloper.  On RX it is noisy and I never did
notice any "spurious response."  In preparation for the 160m contest, I
installed
a 160 foot long dipole center fed with ladder line (for RX and for 80m this
winter).
I feed the dipole through a tuner (usually) and it is MUCH quieter than the
sloper.

IF I switch the tuner to bypass, the "spurious" noise goes up quite noticeably
and
makes "weak" signals disappear.  You can see the spurious noise on the S meter!

I usually feed my sloper through a Dunestar bandpass filter, but even with the
Dunestar bypassed, the spurious response is not noticeable since the sloper
is so noisy and not very broadbanded...

Anyway, these are my "on the air" experiences from the past two days
experimenting.
I have no precise measurements etc, but it is a REAL problem...

Have the recently upgraded radios had this problem fixed?

(I already know my antennas are a compromise, but I live in the city on a small
 lot in a city with height limitations.  I also own a 40 acre ranch, but it is
4 hours
 away, has no electricity, and no antenna supports etc...yet)

The Yaesu web page has been unavailable lately.  Anyone know why?

73, Brian

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/yaesufaq.html
Problems:                 ke7gh@contesting.com