[Yaesu] FT-990 phase noise

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-990 phase noise
From: dgmaley@inav.net (Dave Maley)
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 21:33:26 +0000
All modern HF radios do this.  Most are spec'd at having this noise
60db below peak power.   60db below 100 watts is still quite a bit
of signal.  It is one disadvantage of using a broad-band PA instead
of a tuned network.   Older tube PA's had a PI network that would
not pass this.  Try placing a good antenna tuner between the radio
and antenna, even if the antenna is a 50 ohm match.  It may provide
enough rejection to clean things up.  Don't forget good grounding.
Good luck.   Dave  WA0ZZG