[Yaesu] FT-1000MP Performance Measurements

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000MP Performance Measurements
From: kc2x@nebula.ispace.com (Steve Sacco KC2X)
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 97 17:03:43 -0500

Well, it's about time.  In the past 6 or 7 years I have put many different
radios on my test bench and none have equaled the performance of the
several IC-765s that were tested.  The 1000MP was borrowed so I could do IF
filter performance testing as a preliminary to some new designs.  These
test results are a by product and may be of some interest to the contest

During the IARU last week I operated on 40 CW at W1AW/7 with a 40 meter SSB
station next to me that was using an FT1000MP.  We each had full power and
a 3 element yagi at 160'.   The beams were spaced 230'.  There was only
minimal interference from the SSB station.

        FT-1000MP PERFORMANCE TESTS S/N 5L030117                7/6/97

Conditions: stock SSB and 500Hz CW filters.
        (Numbers in parentheses are for a reference IC-765 S/N 4616)

SENSITIVITY- CW Noise Floor , dBm at:
                                1.8 MHz = -127 tuned, -132 flat
                                3.5        = -123      "   -134   "
                                7.0        = -126      "   -134   "
                                14         = -130      "   -134   "
                                21         = -135      "   -134   "
                                28         = -142      "   -135   "(-140

SELECTIVITY-    Small signal, AGC off, CW  = 480 Hz                     (330 Hz)

                Large signal, AGC on, CW  = 940 Hz                      (680 Hz)

AGC - 1/2 dB increase from threshold to 60 dB over S9.  Smooth response.
        Undershoot = 5%  Fast, negligible Slow                            (none)
        Overshoot   = 20% Fast, 10% Slow.               (7% Fast, 17% Slow)
        Measured with the radio offset from a crystal oscillator by the amount
indicated and adjusting the input level to raise the noise floor 3 dB.  CW

                        Offset           Level (dBm)
                        3 kHz           -41             (-44 )
                        5 kHz           -34             (-37)
                        10 kHz          -27             (-30)
                        50 kHz          -5              (-16)

KEYING - tested at 40 meters, no frequency effects noted.
                Rise time = 2 ms.  Fall time = 1.5 ms.
                Delay to RF out  = 8 ms, vox and 10 ms, BK in.
                Character shortening = 40 ms key down provides 39.5 ms dots in
        VOX mode
and 41 ms in BK-IN mode.  First dot is not shortened.

SPEECH PROCESSING -average power increase due to processing.
        Peak power output is 100 watts.  White random noise is put into the
        mike input and the level is adjusted for an ALC reading according
        to the instruction manual.

        Average power output, no processing   = 27 watts
(17 watts)
        Average power output, with processing = 49 watts, 56 w/dsp      (42

        Noise emitted on the transmitting band and all those below it as
in      a 500 Hz filter = -80 dBm or -107 dB/Hz         (-60 dBm or -87 dB/Hz)
        (Not a function of carrier level.)

COMMENTS - Good Features.
        1.0  CW keying is essentially perfect.  Waveform has smooth rise and
       and is flat topped.  Monitor tone is pleasing.

        2.0  Phase noise performance is excellent.  It's the only radio I have
tested         that has lower phase noise than the IC-765.  (Includes

        3.0  Wide band transmitted noise is 20 dB lower than the 765.
               in a multi station environment will be good.

        4.0  Power control goes down to one watt or less and keying remains

        5.0  SSB talk power is as good as the best radios I have tested, both
                       and without the processor.
COMMENTS - Could use improvement.
        1.0  A few unstable birdies showed up on 160 meters with the receiver
input          terminated in 50 ohms.

The test radio was supplied by KC2X for evaluation.  Thanks Steve.

George Cutsogeorge, W2VJN

<< kc2x@nebula.ispace.com | http://www2.ispace.com/~kc2x >>