[Yaesu] "FT51R Headaches - the Sequel"

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] "FT51R Headaches - the Sequel"
From: avie@glx.chief.co.il (Esterson/Pinsky)
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 13:18:38 +0200
Howdy all,

Remember the rig that went back to Lentini for warantee repair and took a
month to get back? Well, it just got delivered to me here in Israel by my
wonderful family, and besides the fact that Lentini ignored my photocopy of
the purchase receipt and the warrantee registration and therefor tried to
charge over $80 for the repair (most of which was eventually refunded), the
rig still has the same problem: when switching battery packs, it frequently
refuses to "light up" again, without a lot of fiddling around. This seems to
be most prevalent when the exhausted pack has really run down to the point
that the display disappears altogether, which happens about 5 seconds after
the low-battery indicator comes on. I'm using Yaesu's FNB-38s, and one
1500mAh FNB35 from W&W. BTW, The FNB38s (nominally 9.6v) routinely indicate
10.4v on the rig's internal meter, till they're just about empty.

The repair slip isn't too enlightening - just says: "replaced key
unit./repaired battery terminal/ complete test and alignment/".

 Am I doing something wrong? Is this a common problem with this rig? Has
anyone else encountered it and found the solution? Do you know of anyone
anywhere at Yaesu or a service center who can correctly diagnose the rig and
repair it in a timely fashion? I'd sure like to talk to a service engineer
who can reassure me that it's worth it to return the rig for repair again,
and not having the use of it for another couple months ... Can anyone tell
me who to call?

I'm obviously frustrated at having hundreds of $ invested in new,
malfunctioning equipment that has been unuseable for most of the time I've
owned it. I'm hesitant to send it back to a store who ignores the
information in my letter and a repair service who doesn't test their work
properly and takes a month doing it.

So, whaddaya say - does this flick deserve a sequel?
-Avi, 4X6UA

----
Submissions:  mobile-portable@qsl.net