[Yaesu] FT-990 Speech Processoe Settings

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-990 Speech Processoe Settings
From: WmLB@prefer.net (Bill Brannick)
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 19:41:06 -0700
 have owned my 990 for several years, but have always wondered about
the settings for the speech processor.

The manual asks that you follow this procedure:

A. With the RF power fully clockwise and the RF FSP off, adjust mic gain

so that, on voice peaks, the ALC does not deflect past the right edge of

the blue band on the ALC scale.

B. Then with RF FSP ON, adjust the Proc. control for 5 to 10 (dB) on the

COMP scale.

C. Go back and readjust mic gain if necessary to keep the ALC 'in the
blue". (I have always presumed that this means with the RF FSP on)

I have found that if I follow  do  A and B above, I do have to go back
and substantially reduce mic gain. BUT... then going back to the COMP
position I get NO deflection at all.

So.. the question is.... do I not do "C"  and pretty much not worry
about the ALC after the initial mic gain settings...  OR  do I do "C"
and accept or believe that I have optinum compression even though none
is indicated.

I experience this with both the stock MH-1 microphone and my Heil
Micro-Pro/HC-5, although the settings are signicantly different.

I have never been able to find settings for mic gain and processing that

result in the ALC being " in-bounds" and indications of 5 to 10 on the
compression scale.  I have conducted some QSO's while making these
adjustments and generally, the other party says that I sound OK even if
I do NOT  go back and reduce mic gain ....and even though my
observations are that
the ALC is going to 3/4 scale and beyond. (Have I answered my own
question here or not?)

Comments are welcome and appreciated...

--
BILL BRANNICK | Costa Mesa, CA